Hands-On: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Serving Size: Serves 10
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box dark chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup spicy, fruity cola soft drink (such as Dr. Pepper)
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) slated butter, melted
- 1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling
- Heat a camping stove to medium (about 350° to 375°F), or fit a grilling grate over the direct heat of glowing embers. Tear or cut 8 (12-inch) squares of aluminum foil. Crumple each foil square into a 2-inch ball. Flatten each slightly, and arrange on the bottom of a 7 1/2 – quart cast-iron Dutch oven. Cover with the lid, and preheat on the camping stove or grilling grate directly over the heat source 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium (about 350° to 375°F).
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9- x 3-inch springform pan with 2 layers of foil, allowing the foil to extend about 1 inch above the rim of the pan. Fold the edges of the foil down to create an even ½ inch collar above the rim of the pan. Coat the foil with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the cake mix, cola soft drink, and butter in a bowl until well blended. Gently stir in the pie filling. Pour the mixture into the prepared springform pan. Using tongs, lower the pan onto the foil balls in the Dutch oven. Cover and bake on the camping stove over medium until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 45 minutes.