Good Morning Cheddar Drop Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
Hands-On: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Serving Size: Serves 6
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose baking mix (such as Bisquick)
- 2 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about ½ cup)
- 4 ¼ cups whole milk, divided
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage
- 1/3 cup (about 1 ½ ounces) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried sage
- Heat a camping stove to medium (about 350° to 450°F), or fit a grilling grate over the direct heat of the embers. Cut 6 (18-inch) squares of aluminum foil; crumple each foil square into a 1 1/2 – to 2-inch ball. Arrange foil balls on the bottom of a 4 1/2 to 5- quart cast-iron Dutch oven. Cover with the lid, and preheat on the camping stove or on a grilling grate directly over heat source 10 minutes.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with 1 tablespoon of the melted butter. Combine the baking mix, cheese, ¾ cup of the milk, and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter in a medium bowl, stirring just until combined. Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls into the greased cake pan. Place the pan on top of the foil balls in the preheated Dutch oven; cover with the lid. Bake until the biscuits are browned on bottom and done, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place a 12- inch cast-iron skillet over medium on a camping stove or on a grilling grate directly over the heat source. Add the sausage, and cook, stirring until the sausage crumbles and is no longer pink, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture; stir to combine, and cook 1 minute. Slowly stir in the remaining 3 ½ cups milk until combined. Cook, stirring often, until the mixture begins to thicken, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the salt, pepper, and sage. Serve the gravy over the biscuits.
Click here to buy: "Coleman The Outdoor Adventure Cookbook: The Official Cookbook from America's Camping Authority"